Thursday, August 05, 2010

Michigan +10

Today started with tour of the River Rouge Ford plant. We were able to see portions of the production of F-150s. All-in-all I would have to say that it was a pretty impressive tour. My sense of things is that they were cranking these trucks out at a rate of about one truck a minute, maybe even less than that. While huge portions of the operation were mechanized, many labourers were still required and involved in various processes. The cleanliness and quality of the working conditions were also impressive.

After the factory tour we made our way the Henry Ford museum.

While in the museum we saw things like trains and presidential limos. We also saw the world's first regular production Mustang (which happens to have been sold in Newfoundland and still has Newfoundland plates).



We also saw, and were able to sit in, the bus on which Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat.



While in the steam engine and generator section of the museum Neil and I engaged in an electricity generating competition.



[Embedded video]

I am pretty sure I won.

Afterwards the museum we made our way to Highland Park, my father's place of birth. As expected, it was pretty desolate.



The highlight of the trip was heading down the alley next to this house to stand on the last piece of Highland Park land still owned by my family. For some reason Neil and Kirsten walked down the alley but then declined the chance to actually set foot on the triangle of land.

We just returned from family dinner at my aunt and uncle's house. As expected, it was great. Unfortunately, I was talked into eating about half of a watermelon. As one might expect, I feel somewhat bloated and water-logged at the moment. I am hoping that this feeling will soon pass.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's too bad that the museum didn't obtain any of the DSR streetcars before they were shipped off to Mexico City. That whole deal was a scandal and a half, to say the least.