Wednesday, August 11, 2010

On the Train 1

It is just about noon, meaning that Kirsten have been on a Montreal bound train (Toronto was the departure location) for about 25 minutes. So far most of this time has been spent creeping along or in stations not picking up passengers. Hopefully this train will eventually reach something approximating a reasonable cruising speed. Fortunately, since I started this post things have picked up a little in terms of speed, but we are still nowhere near European speeds.

The train on which we are presently riding is slowly working its way into the 21st century. We have wi-fi access, but it is some of the slowest wi-fi access I have ever experienced. As far as I can tell it isn't good enough to allow users to stream videos or do much more than simple browsing. The other way in which the train is super modern is its approach to privacy. Instead of providing traditional bathrooms that have locks and prevent other people from accessing them while a passenger is using them, these bathrooms do away with such archaic notions of privacy and allow other passengers to enter whenever they would like. Amazingly, I even heard the passenger in front of us complain about such a progressive approach to bathrooms and privacy.

We can now see the concession cart approaching for the first time. As we just boarded the train a few minutes ago I think we will likely pass up this opportunity to buy things, though I imagine that this trend will not hold as time passes. I presume that in about an hour or so I will be quite keen to buy a coffee and Kirsten might like something or other (the water and bran muffins we purchased last night are just not that exciting).

I will do my best to keep you updated as our trip progresses.

3 comments:

jlye said...

"Moving"... because you are on a train! Haha!!

Cameron said...

Thanks.

jlye said...

Ouch, I was expecting at least a "groan" from you.