Sunday, March 06, 2011

At least I wasn't off the mark

It seem that my recent post about the similarities between the names Raquel Welch and Raquel Walsh wasn't far off the mark. Through the grapevine/power of the internets a former acquaintance of Ms. Walsh has confirmed that the name was given in honour of Ms. Welch.

Though I have joked around with friends about bad baby names, I am surprised that people would actually go as far as giving their child a pseudo-homophone as a name, particularly when that child is likely to fail to live up to the well-known traits of the person after whom they are being named.

Maybe what is even more impressive than the fact that one person was named in this way is that it appears that this is actually quite a common name among the Walshs of the internet. Last night Jeannette discovered that there are all kinds of Raquel Walshs on Facebook, so many that figuring out who our Raquel Walsh is was not worth the effort.

2 comments:

jlye said...

I just want to clarify that I am not a Facebook Stalker.

Cameron said...

I didn't mean to suggest that you were.