Monday, March 21, 2011

On the Road: Charlottetown (to Montague) to Halifax

This morning we had a quick breakfast at a national coffee and doughnut chain. All three of us ordered oatmeal and then were somewhat surprised to see that in Charlottetown this, traditionally sweet, breakfast dish was served with little packets of salt and pepper. We suspect that that is how Islanders recognize one another, Islanders are the ones with pepper on their oatmeal.

After breakfast Jeannette and I went out for a 'coastal' drive while my father went to his meeting.

Though our drive wasn't particularly coastal, we did eventually make it to Prim Point and were able to see the Prim Point lighthouse, the oldest lighthouse in PEI.


Of course, because it is off season, the lighthouse was not open. The adjacent 'chowder house' was also closed for the season.

Aside from the lighthouse itself, what was particularly striking about this location was how still the water was. This is particularly impressive when you remember that it is sea water that is so still.



[Embedded video]

After driving along the road just inland from the coast from Prim Point to Wood Islands Jeannette and I made our way cross-country to Montague for lunch. Shortly after lunch we made our way back to Charlottetown to meet my father.

After picking my father up we started our trip back to Halifax.

Not surprisingly, we ended up passing Mastodon Ridge (Stewiacke) on our way back.



[Embedded video]

Now that we are back I have had a chance to make an animated gif of our first trip to the Mastodon Ridge area.

Photobucket

I'm exhausted.

3 comments:

Greg said...

vids not working :(

Cameron said...

They are working on my end of things so I don't know what to say.

Donald McKay said...

Ya ba da ba doo!