Saturday, January 08, 2011

The Day of the Citrus

Yesterday I noticed that one of the local grocery stores was having a sale on a number of different non-standard varieties of citrus fruits. It didn't take me long to realize that I wanted to try a few of the varieties on sale. Shortly after buying the fruit I decided to give them all a try

Ugli Fruit - Living up to its name, this nasty looking fruit did taste a little better than it looked. That being said, this somewhat strong sour flavour made it not a new favourite.

Sunburst(?) Tangerine - Every few years I seem to be suckered into buying a few tangerines. This batch, like all of those in the past, was no exception to the rule: an incredible disappointment. For some reason tangerines are just never quite as flavourful or juicy as I expect them to be.

Pomelo - This isn't my first pomelo of the past few weeks so I wasn't particularly surprised with this particular citrus fruit. As usual, I quite enjoyed the flavour and texture of the fruit. That being said, I can see how it might be a bit sour for some people.

Blood Orange - I guess I must have had one of these in the past but I really don't remember when or under which circumstances this might have happened. Though this one had a little more flavour than I expected, it was also much better than I expected. If all oranges were this tasty I might actually eat them more regularly than once every few years.

Wow, that was much less informative than I hoped it would be. Sorry.

2 comments:

Jess said...

Pictures would have made this post. A side by side of the interior/exterior of each fruit would have really rounded out the report.

Hope the increased consumption of fruits & veggies is going well.

Cameron said...

Exactly. All things I originally meant to do.