Sunday, January 30, 2011

Pumping out content

For the past few years I have heard that writers like Graham Greene would only, but consistently, write about a page a day. I presume that this means that they are writing somewhere between 250 and 500 words a day.

I find two things about this impressive. Firstly, these guys really aren't writing all that much on a daily basis. This is an entirely achievable volume for a relatively average person (though, I guess what they are writing is of a slightly higher quality than what I, or the average person, might write in the same space). Secondly, at this rate these authors are pumping out 1 to 1.5 quality books a year, and they manage to keep this rate up year after year.

While I don't necessarily have too much interest in writing novels (as I don't think I could do a good job of it), I do wish that I could somehow tap into this vein of productivity and manage to produce the equivalent output over the course of my adult life.

2 comments:

Greg said...

Well, there is already 175 words in that blog post... and considering how much you have been writing in the doyle blog recently, i would say you are currently achieving that goal.

Cameron said...

The volume has never been a problem, I just need to improve the quality.