Tuesday, January 04, 2011

More not news from Newfoundland

I happened to be skimming my Twitter feed when I noticed a new update from VOCM, a St. John's radio station. The tweet, "MHA Pleased with Governmental Investments," attracted my attention because of it's awkward wording. Why didn't they just write "MHA Pleased with Government's Investments"?

I decided to read the story to see if the tweet's strange construction was merited.

When I got to the VOCM site I found something of a non-story.

The VOCM story in its entirety is:

The minister of Industry, Trade and Rural Development says she is pleased with the investments made by the government in the Buchans Junction-Millertown area during the past year. Area MHA Susan Sullivan says there was roadwork carried out on the Buchans highway in that area, in addition to some pavement in the community of Millertown. Sullivan says there was also a half-million dollars invested for a new water system for a section of Buchans Junction.


As far as I can tell, the only thing this story does is provide an opportunity for a cabinet minister to compliment the work done by her government. What a shock that she thinks she is doing a good job. Did they try checking with residents of the district to see if they agree? Was this the part of the district that needed the investment the most?

Is this story, as it presently stands, worth anyone's time? Does it add anything to the public's knowledge or understanding of government? Not really - particularly given the fact that the investment in itself pretty much laid out the government's position on the worthiness of the investment.

I probably shouldn't let stuff like this get to me, but it is frustrating that stories like this are frequently passed off as news.

No comments: