Saturday, January 29, 2011

Round Three

This summer I learned about a type of New Zealand cookie called Afghans through my friend Nicole's house's cooking blog. Almost immediately I was inclined to try the recipe. Almost immediately I managed to screw the recipe up (and then post about it).

A few days after my first failed attempt at Afghans I tried again. This time with a little more success. Actually, eventually I can to accept that this batch of cookies was pretty tasty. After a few more weeks of reflection I began to idealize these cookies. They seemed like the best cookies I had ever made. Why wasn't I making them more frequently?

When I saw whole walnuts on sale a few weeks ago I decided to buy them to encourage myself to get around to baking them again. Obviously, this tactic wasn't immediately effective.

Anyway, as today is a special someone's birthday I finally convinced myself that today would be a good day for me to bake these cookies (particularly as she really liked the second batch).

As the original form of the recipe called for ingredients to be measured by weight and as I received a new electric scale for Christmas that I had yet to use, I decided to weigh the ingredients I was going to use.

As this is was the first time I had ever weight ingredients, the process was slow. I definitely wasn't quite comfortable with how the whole thing was to work. Though with each ingredient I felt a little more comfortable.

Eventually I had some cookie dough and was ready to put the first tray in the oven.

While the first dozen cookies were in the oven I started to work on the icing, which is a nice thick, fudgey chocolate icing. As I was measuring the sugar I noticed that the quantity didn't seem quite right. After a little investigation I realized that I had failed to notice the decimal point and that I was trying to add one tenth the required volume.

In my defence, the digital scale's digital decimal point is a little lower than the base of the numbers. Furthermore, when one has things on the scale and is forced to look at the screen on an angle it can be difficult to see.

p

This discovery helped me understand why I had added so few cornflakes to the dough. Bummer.

I was able to take unbaked cookies and then add the additional cornflakes before baking them.

So, again I managed to screw this recipe up. Bummer.

Anyway, in the end I think they were edible.


At least everyone has been eating them and no one has died yet.

No comments: