Tuesday, January 04, 2011

New Spamming Technology

It seems that over the past few weeks I have had the pleasure of experiencing a new type of spam - text messages sent to my Google Voice number. Fortunately, because the service is free, this doesn't cost me any money or much time (at least yet). What is troubling is how they happen to have gotten my number (unless they are just generating numbers). It is also troubling to think that this could start happening on a more widespread basis and that web-based services could start text spamming actual phones in such a way that would be almost untraceable (though I know to what end they would be working with such an approach).

While looking through my spam texts I happened to come across a mysterious message that I received a few months ago.



[Embedded audio]

I have no idea where this came from or what the caller was getting at. Hopefully they eventually found the person they were looking for.

No comments: