Wednesday, January 10, 2007

A Few Quick Notes 48

-The temperature is now down to about -12, which is quite chilly. Though it is cold we still don’t have any snow or frozen water to talk about. It seems that it might be generally colder in the next few days than it has been over the past few weeks.

-Today before class I went to the bookstore to purchase a book for the class that I had yesterday. Though the book available was not the one that was originally ordered I decided that I would splash out for it. After the purchase I went over to school and started to read a few of the first pages.

What initially struck me about the book was that it was absolutely nothings special, just another textbook dealing with social science research methods. To me the greater than $80 price tag did seem special.

After class I decided to head back to the bookstore to pick up the course pack (collection of reading for the class) for the course that I had just had. While in the store I ran into three of my classmates. The discussion quickly turned to books that had been recommended. It quickly became clear that I didn’t really need to purchase the book that I had already purchased and likely didn’t need to purchase the course pack that I had gone to buy.

My plan is to use the library copies of the books and then get a copy of the table of content from the course pack and get each week’s articles.

This decision meant that I would have to return the already purchased book. So I went up stairs and attempted to do this. At first the process seemingly went smoothly. The book was handed over to the clerk and an amount of money refunded to my bank card.

Just before the process was over the clerk realized that he had refunded me too much money. This kind of threw him a little off kilter, he didn’t seem to know quite how to deal with it. Eventually he was able to figure out a way to get me to pay pack the money, though he insisted that I used my bank card.

As I have a limited number of free transactions a month I wasn’t really interested in paying for this $3 on my bank card. I suggested that I might be able to pay in cash, which at the end of the day would leave their till balanced.

This suggestion wasn’t all that welcome. The clerk eventually went to find an answer. Though it took a few minutes and didn’t seem to be a big deal to his supervisor, I was able to pay back the $3 in cash.

-Unfortunately none of the books that I would like to read for my courses is available from the library. It seems that they have all been checked out and recalled, though they might not be back for more than a week. This doesn’t really seem acceptable.

-My classes have been pretty good so far, though some of them could be a little spicier. Tomorrow’s class will finally give me a final view of my term.

-The free book box is back again this term. So far I have been able to pick up three free books. Score.

2 comments:

Neil said...

I'm curious to know if TD charges your account with a transaction when a refund is processed. When you get next month's statement, let us know.

Cameron said...

It was not really the refund that I was worried about but the new charge. I guess I will find out if I am to be dinged for refunds.

The comment you recently posted was the first that we have received in a while.