Thursday, January 18, 2007

A Few Quick Notes 53

-Today was a fair bit warmer than yesterday. Actually, since the low of about -24 things have been warming up. My understanding is that we are supposed to plateau at about this temperature and then dip again. Over the next few days we are also supposed to get a little bit more snow, though nothing to really worry about.

-A few days ago I heard a rumor that McGill would be switching to all e-subscriptions for it journals (presumably keeping the paper version if that is all that is available). This would certainly be a bit of a change. It is a rather thought provoking suggestion. My initial worry is that people will get out of the habit of going to the print version, thereby basically negating the existence of print-only volumes and journals.

-Yesterday I was able to fly through about 100 pages of a management textbook. It was some of the fluffiest/fastest reading I have ever done. On the whole much of the content was very superficial, not really going into any degree of detail.

-Apparently Domtar will be coming out with a anti-microbial paper in the near future. I am curious what affect this might have on the archival world as things like mould are problematic for preservation.

-For the past two nights I have had the pleasure of hearing many back-up sirens as the municipal government removes Monday’s snow. Though I know that they are working hard I can’t quite figure out where it is they are working as many of the streets surrounding my apartment building seem to still be snow filled.

-Apparently Royal Bank mis-interpreted some of the US rules relating to the US currency accounts it was issuing. Residents will be able to open US currency accounts. To me it still seems that there is a bit more to the story that has still not come out. I have yet to see the text of the regulation that Royal Bank is supposedly following.

-Tomorrow is another workday. This one should be a bit quieter than last Friday as there won’t be a large party. On the other hand, I hope that it is busier than the first week of the term.

-Apparently the Park Avenue issue is not yet dead. The commission of last resort has been issuing cryptic statements about some kind of compromise, though I have no idea what this might be. At one point it was suggested that the street be given a dual name as occurs in New York. I guess in the next few days we will have a better handle on what will happen.

No comments: