Friday, January 05, 2007

So I am back in Montreal

Much of my time back in town has been spent catching up on sleep or relaxing, though I was able to do a bit of skating last night. This has been quite nice as my trip to St. John’s didn’t really lead to too much sleep.

Aside from this sleep matter I have had the displeasure of dealing with McGill’s proto-automated system for students. While it appears automated I feel it has a few kinks to work out. One of the more noticeable problems is that they issue e-bills that don’t reflect the amount that is actually owed by the student, particularly if the student is receiving money from the University. Additionally, if money is to be credited to the account, say because of a refund, it is not reflected how this money is used on the bill. I just don’t recall having this problem at MUN, my account was just updated automatically and things were easy.

Another issue with McGill is the inability to use a credit card to pay, though they are quite willing to take credit cards for application fees or deposits. Students have to use online banking features, which might be pretty easy if one does this frequently. I have the problem that I keep forgetting my banking details so I can’t even access my account (though this could be solved by a telephone call to the bank).

The other McGill issue is accessing one’s grades. While most North American universities that I am familiar with seem to post grades within a few days of the exam period ending. This is not the case at McGill. I finished my exams in mid-December and still don’t have access to my grades, though I had expected that they would be up yesterday. It would seem that knowing whether students have passed or failed before the term begins might be of use to both students and administrators as it might cause changes to course loads (a problem that I am not expecting to affect me).

No comments: