Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Advance polling numbers from Election Canada

Elections Canada just released preliminary numbers on this past weekend's advance polling. It seems that close to 500 000 more people than in 2008 voted during the advance polling period (and this count doesn't include the number of special ballots that have been cast) bringing the total advance polling votes to just over 2 million.

Given that the advance polling period took place on a holiday weekend I am not sure how much of this 34.5% bump in turnout is really indicative of an overall increase in turnout, though I guess I would be a little surprised if we saw as low a rate of turnout as we saw in 2008.

The eventual overall turnout aside, I think that these advance polling numbers certainly don't pose a serious threat to the argument that holding the primary polling day on a non-working day might improve turnout/participation.

Oh, if 2008 is used as an indicator of turnout, the advance polling numbers might mean that upwards of 1/7 of the total number of votes have already been cast. I guess now I am curious to know if any polls have been conducted to figure out how these 2 million voters voted.

I should also note that I am quite pleased with Elections Canada for releasing these numbers so quickly.

No comments: