Sunday, April 17, 2011

Campaign Event Recap 3

As I mentioned a few minutes ago, Jeannette, Neil, and I (along with our friend Andrew) decided to head to the Halifax farmer's market to try and see Jack Layton.

Almost as soon as we arrived on the premises of the market we observed signs that suggested we may have missed the big event. Most notably, reporters and people with NDP lanyards were streaming out of the building. Once we made it inside we did manage to spot the remnants of the event, including some of the partially packed equipment and local candidate/MP Megan Leslie.

I just realized that I didn't see anyone handing out literature. I don't think that I even so any evidence that any one had been handing out literature. And mention of the event seems to be absent from most of the relevant NDP Twitter feeds. I guess they were going for stealth this morning? It is unclear to me why they would try to sneak in and out of downtown Halifax, an NDP district, without letting anyone (aside from the media) know in advance.

As close as we came to actually seeing Jack Layton was walking by his campaign bus as we entered the farmer's market.


By the time we left the market the bus had pulled out and was nowhere to be seen.

No comments: