Thursday, May 06, 2010

Big Shopping Day

On Tuesday night, after a series of delays, Neil and Rebecca returned from their trip to Regina (and Winnipeg). To get back from the airport they decided to rent a car (which is about the same as taking a taxi and only about $18 more than taking the bus). The side effect of them renting a car to get back from the airport was that we then had a car for much of the day yesterday.

After a little discussion we decided to head to the Bayer's Lake shopping district yesterday morning.

We started our expedition off with a trip to an office supplies store. Almost immediately upon entering the store Neil spotted an eReader that interested him (though the staff was less than helpful and seemed anything but interested in making a sale on a $200 item). Eventually we made our way towards more pedestrian items like printer paper and file folders (I ended up buying 2000 sheets of paper and 100 file folders). I also acquired a second 2-drawer filing cabinet. Rebecca selected a new computer mouse. It was all pretty exciting. I did not acquire two plant watering devices for $9.99 (though I was tempted).

We next made our way to a sporting goods store as I was interested in acquiring a new pair of shoes. Almost immediately it became clear that we were basically the only customers in the store. That this was the case allowed me to have the almost undivided attention of the saleslady, who was quite helpful when it came to retrieving shoes for me to try. After trying on a number of pairs of shoes Neil or Rebecca alerted me to the fact that there was a sale that would mean a second pair of shoes could be purchased for 50%.

At first this seemed unreasonable (who needs two new pairs of shoes at the same time?), though eventually I found two pairs of shoes that interested me. In the end the two pairs of shoes that I ended up buying were not only some least expensive shoes that I tried on all day, but also the most comfortable. I guess I should point out that the second pair of shoes that I purchased were cleats (for Summer Ultimate).

If my memory serves me correctly we then made our way to Dollarama, where we all purchased a few items. I ended up purchasing quite a number of supplied for my gardening related activities. I bought a few trellis structures that I am looking forward to have the plants grow on (as well as a few stakes and pots). The other neat thing that I found were individual plant water bulbs (similar to those available at the office supply store) for $2 apiece.

We eventually made our way to a kitchen store where Neil and Rebecca were able to acquire a few items with a gift card. I am particularly impressed with their egg poaching set (which was over $100 off). While there I picked up a new wooden spoon (it has a thicker handle than many of my other wooden spoons).

As far as I recall this was basically all of the shopping we did at Bayer's Lake. Eventually Neil and Rebecca made their way to the Halifax Shopping Center (and its Dollarama). And we made a return trip later in the evening before the car had to be returned (I purchased a few more garden related items).

All-in-all it was a pretty productive shopping day. Now I just need to find places for all of the newly purchased items.

2 comments:

Donald McKay said...

Unless you are suggesting the N & R received a large rebate, I cannot imagine an egg poaching set that could be selling for $100 less than the original price.

Neil said...

The regular price was ~$135 and we got it for $30. It was actually a pan with a glass lid with a bonus egg poaching setup.