Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A Few Quick Notes 432

-Though I thought that we might get some rain today we managed to make it through with just overcast skies. Though not as nice, at least by most measures, as yesterday this was fine as I don't think I was really interested in another 29 degree day.

-Last night while at a nearby pharmacy shopping for skin cleansers I noticed that the condom and lube section was located next to the acne treatment section. Today I happened to be in the pharmacy section of one of my neighbourhood grocery stores looking for acetaminophen and noticed that in this case the condom section was located next to the diet beverage section. I feel that in both cases I am being sent somewhat odd messages. In the first instance I almost feel as though they are trying to tempt acne-laden teens while in the second instance they are reminding people of their size (and almost suggesting that they might consider going on a diet if they want to indulge in sex). Of course, I could be reading too much into these placement of these products, but in an age of market research and product placement I have a hard time believing that these products were placed next to each other coincidentally.

-While at the aforementioned grocery store this morning I was in the midst of checking out when the cashier noticed that one of my purchases, a store-brand sale item, did not have a UPC. I not only surprised that the item did not have a UPC, but also that this seemed not to be noticed until I checked out. If things like this can slip by the management of this store then maybe I shouldn't be so surprised that they have a hard time keeping tofu and raspberry yogurt in stock.

-For the past few weeks I have been playing squash on Wednesday evenings. My plan is to do so again tomorrow night. While I am still a pretty bad player, I do think that I have improved (if not in terms of skill at least in terms of the power of my shots).

-I baked a three-loaf batch of white bread today. Unfortunately I allowed myself to eat almost an entire loaf.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a change from when condom were kept behind the counter and one had to ask the pharmacist.

Rebecca said...

It is 33 degrees here...Celsius that is. I think I prefer 33 F. Then I can at least wear a coat and be okay.

Cameron said...

33 celsius is definitely on the warm side, I guess you will soon be back to now grey Halifax.