Thursday, May 06, 2010

I'm Famous or Changes in Condom Testing Technology

A few nights ago while speaking to a friend, though I can't now remember why, I mentioned that while in Junior High and High School I had created a condom testing machine as part of my annual science fair requirement. Much to my surprise, this friend, who also happens to be from St. John's (though always attended different schools), had heard about my science fair project and was even able to recall a few details (though they had not seen the machine in action). Apparently, my science fair project was talked about somewhat regularly by a relatively large portion of the students my age in St. John's. It seems a little strange to learn 13 years after the fact that your work was having something of an impact in a broader community (though aside from inducing giggles and shock I am not really sure what impact I really had).

The machine that I created, which I called the Fex Machine, was based on the premise that Simulated Usage Condom Testing (SUCT) was worth considering (at the time may condoms were tested through an inflation test even though condoms are not typically called upon to hold several liters of air during use). Not surprisingly, the components of the machine were relatively straightforward. A condom was placed on the Fenis (fake penis) and then repeatedly inserted into the Fagina (fake vagina). At its top speed the Fex Machine could perform 112 insertions/thrusts/strokes per minute. If my memory serves correctly, I could get about 6000-8000 insertions before most condoms would break.

After a few years of somewhat passionate involvement with the subject methods used in condom testing started to fade from my consciousness. Of course this reminder of my former glory reignited some of my former passions and encouraged me to try to check up on the state of the field.

One of most interesting things I learned in this very brief foray back into the realm of condom testing is that something similar to my Fex Machine has now been used in the condom testing realm, though to determine the cause of ruptures rather than to determine their likely rate of success.

Though I don't have a photo of the Fex Machine I can tell you that it is not completely dissimilar to the photo included below, though unlike this machine it really does look as though it was built in a basement with scrap parts.



(Source: White, Nicholas D. and Steffen Bodemeier. "Male condoms that break in use do so mostly by a “blunt puncture” mechanism." In Contraception 77.5 (May 2008): 360-365 Image available here)

So I guess this means not only do I feel moderately famous, but also that I was somewhat ahead of my times as far as condom testing was concerned. I am also really starting to wish that I had considered patenting my machine (imagine the royalty/licensing revenues that would now be rolling my way).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congratulations on you rub with fame again.