Thursday, November 18, 2010

Attacked by logic

This evening Neil, Rebecca, Jeannette, and I attended a Dal Alumni sponsored advance screening of the latest Harry Potter movie. As the recommended time of arrival was 6:00 I had to head to the theatre directly from school, without getting a chance to eat.

Shortly after we picked up our tickets I expressed an interest in getting a burger a fast food restaurant located next to the movie theatre. Neil was keen on joining me. I guess he was also quite hungry.

Though the line-up was not very long it didn't seem to be moving particularly quickly. After a few moments of observation I figure out the hold-up - the guy in front of us was paying with spare change. Though the guy seemed to have quite a bit of change he hadn't counted it in advance so he didn't know exactly how much he had, which meant a rather belaboured counting process. After an agonizing five minute counting process the guy then had to pick up the extra change that he had dumped on the counter. The only good news is that he didn't have to wait very long for his food to arrive after he had finished paying.

Then, all of a sudden, it was our turn to order.

I quickly placed our order, three of the special promotion spicy burgers, though I requested that two be plain and one have only lettuce and cheese. We were then told that we could not order these burgers without cheese or special sauce.

What? I can't omit the most expensive ingredients from my order?

Eventually they allowed us to hold the sauce on all three burgers and transfer all three pieces cheese to a single burger. When Neil's burger eventually came out they had placed two pieces of cheese on one side of the burger and the third on the other.

As ridiculous as this outcome was, I was quite pleased to have some food before the movie.

The movie, which was pretty much what I would have expected, was fine. That they split the final book in two was definitely a bit of a bummer, though a feature of the movie for which I was at least partly prepared.

No comments: