Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A Few Quick Notes 474

-After a several day period of clear skies it seems that Halifax is now, once again, sheathed in clouds. The prediction is that this cloud cover will soon lead to rain, which would be a less than well-received turn of events.

-This morning I made an early trip to the grocery store so that I would be able to take advantage of an excellent butter sale, the first such sale in months. I had to go early because in such circumstances the butter tends to move quickly, particularly on Tuesdays as students get a ten percent discount. As it turned out, I was able to pick up 5 pounds of butter without much hassle.

-Yesterday, by taking two trips to the law library, I was able to pick up a few old Judicial Committee of the Privy Council (which was Canada's highest court of appeal until 1949) rulings that I need/ed to read. Though they turned out not to be all that difficult to find, I had been allowing myself to neglect this task for the past several months.

-While at the law library I was reminded that I really don't like the way the Dalhousie law library is run, particularly in relation to non-law students. For instance, instead of automatically granting graduate students the full loan period for a book their system has a shorter loan period as the default (you have to know to ask for the extra time if you want it). Also, study rooms and certain databases are unavailable to non-law students. Such practices seem to run contrary to the idea of an academic library (providing access to information and furthering the creation of knowledge in an academic community), but they are also more restrictive than those of non-Dalhousie libraries to which I have access through consortial arrangements.

-I guess I should get back to work now that I have bragged about my butter score and vented about the Dalhousie law library.

No comments: