Thursday, November 04, 2010

Reality and Art

The first story most recent episode of This American Life deals with key players in a Michigan Tea party. At one point in the story the reporter, while interviewing a subject, happens to record a phone conversation that a recently fired campaign manager has with a member of the campaign team for the Republican candidate. The beauty of this recording is that you basically get to hear the change of position taken the fired campaign manager as well as the willingness of the Republican campaign worker to spread a false story (and I should be clear, I suspect that members of both parties frequently engage in such dealings).




[Embedded audio]

After having listened to this story I recommend that you watch basically any episode of the Thick of It, a great show about British politics. The pace at which positions are reversed, changed, or abandoned in both contexts is amazingly similar. Apparently the writers of the Thick of It really didn't miss the mark by much, which is presumably why the show is so excellent.

(I sure that I should have done a better job drawing out the parallels between the This American Life episode and Thick of It, unfortunately I am a little tired and this thought probably doesn't merit being held until a time when I am a little more rested.)

1 comment:

jlye said...

<3 the Thick of It... even though the show often makes me regret going into Public Administration.