Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Mostly vegan

Since just after Christmas I have almost completely eliminated meat from my diet.  Since just after Christmas Jeannette has been vegan - meaning she doesn't consume any animal products at all.

Because I try to prepare food with Jeannette's diet in mind I have been thinking vegan for as long as she has been vegan, and in many instances eating vegan for longish (at least for me) stretches.

While I realize that I am not vegan, I do think that it fair to say that I am mostly vegan (you know, vegan except for butter and an occasional piece of beef).  Such claims annoy Jeannette quite a bit - she thinks I shouldn't use vegan in any way to describe myself if I am not vegan.

I disagree.  Firstly, thinking vegan has to be a big first step.  If you don't think vegan it's hard to be vegan. Secondly, I am clearly facilitating veganism - and I think that has to count for something.  Thirdly, I am clearly moving in that direction myself.  Once we get rid of the eggs and remaining animal products I don't really plan on replacing them - and I think that also has to count for something.  If we mapped veganism to the Kinsey scale I think it is fair to say I would be predominately vegan.

Maybe Jeannette is right and you are either all vegan or not at all vegan, but shouldn't thinking vegan count for something?  If I put all the time into planning vegan meals shouldn't I get at least some vegan credit?

Cameron: 27
Neil: 0

No comments: