Monday, February 06, 2012

Scammer alert

Earlier this evening I received a call from my 'local fire department,' apparently as part of a fundraising campaign to support a public education program in local schools.  Not surprisingly, this pitch didn't work on me.

The fact that my 'local fire department' was calling from a 1-800 number along with the use of the rather general term 'local fire department' immediately raised my suspicions that this call may not have been what it was pretending to be.

Through her connections with the Town of Wolfville Jeannette was able to confirm that our suspicions were correct - this was not a legitimate fundraising endeavour.

What is particularly galling about this particular scam is that it plays on people's general sense of decency and humanity, and they risk undermining the future fundraising efforts of the local volunteer fire department.  Though I doubt that the perpetrators of this scam will be caught, I hope that the word gets out so that no one is suckered into handing over their credit card numbers or banking information.

Cameron: 12
Neil: 0

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Would you have donated had the cause been "pedestrian safety helmets", especially if the pitch was "for the chilrens"? After all, they ARE our most precious resource, aren't they?