Saturday, February 04, 2012

What I won't be doing tomorrow...

...is watching the Super Bowl.  What I will be doing tomorrow is looking forward to the end of Super Bowl snack adds in the the local grocery stores.

For some reason, even though I don't think my media consumption habits are all that different this year,  I feel as though I am hearing more about this weekend's impending Super Bowl.  It is almost as though I can't avoid discussion of coverage of the event.

This week, much to my surprise, two of the podcasts I listen to that normally have nothing to do with sports had extended sections on the upcoming Super.  How To Do Everything covered issues relating to the game and the viewing of the game while Planet Money covered issues relating to the expected economic spin-offs for Indianapolis.  And I'm sure I've heard about it somewhere else as well, I just can't remember where at the moment.

I guess I still don't quite get the fascination with this event, particularly in Canada.  Not only does the coverage drag on for hours, but the game being played has to be one of the more excruciating sports to watch.  And it's best of one, so if the better team is a little off for the game they may not even win.  And who likes watching a championship in which the better team is so likely to lose?

Cameron: 5
Neil: 0

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This year's Stupor Bowl ended like a typical high quality Big Ten football game -- meaning exciting to the end. In short, it was a good game, not a typical NFL football game.

By missing the event, you also missed M.I.A. acting like what she is as she gave "the finger" and uttered an not unexpected obscenity.

Anonymous said...

When you said, "I guess I still don't quite get the fascination with this event, particularly in Canada", apparently you are trying to ignore the reality of the fact that Canadians in general, are taken with "all things American", inclusive of Hollywood, sports, and national politics. For example, how many Canadians do not know the name of the US President, Obock Bahrain Barama or Super Bowl halftime entertainer Madonna (U of M alumna who wants her son Lourdes to attend school in Ann Arbor).