Friday, April 24, 2009

A exciting assortment of purchases

For the past few days Neil, Rebecca, and I have been planning on taking a trip on the ferry over to Dartmouth to take advantage of the last few days of our transit passes and also to hit up a Dollarama. I am pretty sure that our trip was a great success, as we were able to also make quick stops at a library used book sale as well as a local game shop.

Actually, our purchasing started with the chain coffee shop in the ferry terminal. As is my practice, I went for an extra large black coffee. I was a little surprised that Neil and Rebecca joined me in making purchases, though they stuck with cold beverages.

Once in the ferry terminal in Dartmouth we learned that he local public library was having a used book sale. The upside of the book sale was that it gave me an excuse to head into a Halifax Public Library. Aside from the Dewey, I was pretty pleased with what I saw. The Alderney Gate branch looked like quite a pleasant, well-stocked library. If I lived in the area I am sure that I would visit it with some regularity.

Anyway, the downside of the book sale is that we had about an hour to kill before it started (it will also be going on tomorrow and Sunday for those of you in the area). We decided to head up to the local game store, where Neil picked up a copy of the Settlers of Catan Card Game Expansion Set. I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but Neil and Rebecca seem to be enjoying at the moment. Hopefully I will get a chance to play it in the coming days.

We eventually made our way back to the library and saw that quite a line had developed for the book sale. Instead of standing in the line Neil decided to head to the lotto shack and trade in his winnings from his Easter scratch 'n' sniff for an Uno themed scratch 'n' sniff. Rebecca and I watched Neil as he scratched his way to victory. Unfortunately, his prize was only $3. Fortunately, he was next to a lotto shack so he was able to cash the card and re-invest the winnings in a new card. As he was completing this transaction Rebecca and I joined the book sale line. Soon after joining the line Neil started scratching his new card. Before we entered the sale it became apparent that Neil was also going to win on this card, and that it would be more than $3.

Once we eventually made our way into the book sale we each picked up a few books. In general our browsing and enjoyment was somewhat diminished by our general inability to make our way around the display tables. Somehow we ended up selecting a total of 10 books, which came to $8. I am particularly hopeful that my book on house plants will be of some use.



After the book sale we finally made our way to the Dollarama. Once we arrived we learned that Dollarma has change its pricing scheme and that some items are now more than $1. While this was a bit of a disappointment, it didn't stop us from shopping.

One of our goals was to pick up a few containers in which we could store beans. Neil and I selected three matching glass containers for the job. So far I am pretty pleased with our picks.



We also wanted a few containers for our couscous and cornmeal. I hope our purchases for this purpose be successful, I have every reason to believe that they will be.



Another shopping goal of mine was to pick up a few new pots for plants. In the end I ended up buy seven pots. The three smallest pots were 3/$1, which seemed like a good price to me.



All of us felt pretty satisfied after our rather exciting day of shopping. Hopefully, aside from groceries and toiletries, we won't need to do all that much shopping in the coming weeks, though such plans typically seem to fall apart.

No comments: