Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A Few Quick Notes 306

-Today was a pretty nice day. It seems that the official record is reporting that we reached a high of 11, and stayed there for about 5 hours. Now that the sun has set the temperature has dropped rather dramatically, though it is still warm enough that I would consider having a beer on the balcony if there were any in our fridge.

-I have spent much of the past few days working on a project related to my research assistantship. Unfortunately, things have not gone quite as smoothly as I might have liked. It seems that Greece doesn't provide official English translations of as many documents as I might like. I had hoped to finish this up by today, but now it seems that tomorrow is a little more likely.

For those of you that are curious, this is much of the reason for my recent slow-down in electronic communications (meaning blog posts and email responses).

-Neil and I went to a talk by John Ralston Saul last Thursday at King's. While neither of agreed with everything that was said, we both quite enjoyed the talk. At a few points we were two of the only individuals laughing at a few of the jokes, something that made me feel pretty good.

-I made another quick batch of bread tonight. While the resulting loaves were quite edible, I really wasn't pleased with how they turned out. The dough had a very strange characteristic that I don't quite understand, maybe part of the issue was my failure to knead it sufficiently.

-I was able to crank out two loads of laundry tonight.

-Though I don't have pictures at the moment, the scarlet runner beans I planted in the living room a few days ago have sprouted and are now approaching 12 inches. Hopefully I will be able to put some more strings up shortly and get them to try to re-trace the steps of their predecessors.

Shockingly, the beans in my room have also started to grow a little, though still at a much slower rate than the beans in the living room. What is most exciting is the number of leaves that have developed on all four of the shoots. All signs are pointing to even more leaf development in the coming days.

No comments: