Sunday, April 05, 2009

A Few Quick Notes 299

-The past few days have been overcast and rainy. It seems that the forecast is calling for similar weather for the next few days as well. Should be fun. Good thing I have a rain jacket and rain pants. I guess some form of water-proof footwear might be useful as well.

-A few days ago I noticed that both of the local grocery stores have grapes on sale this week. While I don't normally eat much fruit, I was thinking that this might be a good opportunity to buy a few grapes and get my 2009 grape consumption out of the way. While looking through the fridge while preparing dinner I noticed that someone, presumably Neil, unbeknownst to me had purchased grapes. I had a decent size brach for a snack this evening. I think that my grape craving has been satisfied for the time being.

-I have been spending a little time on the Department of Fisheries and Oceans website recently. Two things shock me about this site. Firstly, there is all kinds of data that would seem to be of interest to members of the public that I know that they collect that is not made readily available. Furthermore, the data that is made available is frequently presented in ways that makes it less accessible than it could be. Secondly, the site is littered with dead links, many of which theoretically direct one to important information. I don't think that I have ever encountered a government website with so many dead links. It is really quite annoying.

The one neat thing was that once I made it to the Newfoundland region website I found that I know the individual in the photo on the main page.

-Recently we received a flyer from a store that seems to mainly supply restaurants with bulk goods. For some reason they now seem to be trying to branch out to individual buyers. The great thing about the store is that they sell bulk items at great prices. For instance, if you wanted 40 pounds of tahini you would only have to pay $79.00. Or you could get 100 ounces of black olives for only $5.99. It is likely that we will go for 5 kilograms of couscous for $11.99 and 3 liters of olive oil for $9.99. Hopefully we will also snag a few 2 pound bags of beans for $1.99. The only downside of these purchases is that they are likely to make the bus ride back rather trying.

-It turns out that this is our 700th post. Given that we are only a few months into 2009, a disproportionate number have come from this year. Actually, as far as I can tell, we are on pace to have a record setting year in terms of numbers of posts. If you are curious, I actually can hear the celebratory shouts from here.

No comments: