Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A Few Quick Notes 305

-Today has been pretty great. I get the sense that the temperature must have been pushing 10 for a few hours. Now that evening is setting in things are beginning to cool down, though it is still quite pleasant.

-A few days ago I listened to the This American Life episode "Double Lives," which is mostly about gay men hiding their sexual orientation and living as married straight men. What I found interesting about this episode is how much things seem to have changed in the 13 years since it was first produced. My sense of things is that things like gay marriage weren't really seen as likely at the time. I am curious if some of the people were interviewed again today if they would give the same answers as they gave in the mid-nineties.

-We had turkey pot-pie for dinner last night. I thought it was pretty decent, though I could be a little biased.

-I had a final exam today. It was a pretty exhilarating experience, as they tend to be.

-Yesterday Mike Watson (SirWatts) mentioned that he would be providing live updates via Twitter from the upcoming event at the Bellagio. After a few minutes of investigation I got the sense that it would be easiest to follow these updates if I signed up for a Twitter account. So I did, it took about a minute. Shortly after signing up I managed to start following Watson as well as the host from a few of my favourite podcasts.

So far I am not quite sure what I think about the whole micro-blogging concept. I get the sense that it mainly serves as a venue for one-liners, PR, and as a popularity contest. I guess I should give it more than 24 hours to reach a definitive conclusion on the topic.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I'm glad to hear that you are still keeping an open mind.

We had turkey potpie last night.