Friday, April 10, 2009

So much has happened

It has been a few days since I have last posted photos of my windowsill vegetable garden. As usual, in just a few days a number of rather impressive changes have taken place. Obviously, general growth is continuing, but we have also had a few new plants sprout. I continue to be impressed with the condition of most of the plants given the less than ideal growing conditions.



The banana keeps popping out new leaves on a relatively regular basis. The past few have been a fair bit larger than those that came out during the winter. I am somewhat hopeful that the leaves keep getting larger as the summer continues. Unfortunately, I still haven't gotten around to re-potting this plant, I can't believe that it doesn't need it at this point. Anyway, as I don't have an appropriate pot on hand it is going to be at least a few more days before I make any progress on this front.



Just in the past few days have I really begun to appreciate how much the aloe droplets have grown in the past few months. I am thinking that I may try to remove the original droplets and re-plant them to see if I can start a few more plants.



These are two of the three 'pots' containing my new tomato plants. In a each pot a few of the seeds failed to germinate, which seems to be fine as I can't imagine that having five tomato plants in each of these pots would be particularly good. So far they have been showing steady, if not rapid, progress.



Some of the progress can be determined by comparing the photo below with the photos above. The photo below was taken about three days ago, when this was the largest and one of the few plants. Since this photo a number of new plants have made appearances, and this one has grown to about double this height.



The corn plants are continuing to grow rather rapidly. I imagine that in the very near future, if it hasn't happened already, the small pot will limit the further development of the plants. Actually, just a day or so ago I noticed that the roots have begun to grow out of the bottom of the plant. I am taking this as a sign that the pot may not be big enough.



I think that of all of the plants in the windowsill vegetable garden, the thyme is growing the fastest. Everyday I seem to see new 'branches.' I really need to prune this plant and begin the drying process.



The bay tree's most observable progress seems to be taking place on the relatively new shoot/branch. Though not visible in this photo, it seems that this branch has developed a few more leaves, which also suggests that it is likely to shoot up at least a few more centimeters in the coming days. I keep hoping that similar growth will occur on the main branch, though I don't yet see any evidence that this is about to occur.

Actually, I did notice a new area of growth last night. It seems that there are now spike-like structures on the side of the main brach at the spot that used to be the top of the plant. I am starting to wonder if these are going to grow into new branches. I guess I will have to watch these in the coming days.

The beans surrounding the bay tree are also doing quite well. In the past few days there has been all kinds of new leaf growth and a few new beans, though I don't think the beans will ever develop into an edible form.



I thought that I might as well also include photos of the other plants in my room, as some of them are also doing pretty well.

I purchased this ivy plant at some point during the winter. This is another plant that I keep meaning to re-pot but haven't. I am quite impressed with how much it has grown, especially considering how small the pot is.



I keep adding to my cuttings in bottle collection. I guess that because they seem to be successful I am inclined to keep going. Also, I think that I have a problem recycling bottles. It seems like such a waste, surely there must be something more useful than recycling than can be done with them. So far this is basically the only thing I have thought of. I really wish I could remember the name of this plant.



These plants started as cutting in a bottle but were planted sometime before Christmas. So far their growth has been incredibly slow. Just a few weeks ago the first new leaf appeared on one of the plants. The other plant is yet to show any signs of growth other than some root growth when it was still in the bottle.



The beans have really slowed down. I can't say I have really been helping the process either. A few days ago I cracked the stalk of the largest plant. I guess this means that this plant won't be getting too much longer. The other three plants, the one that really haven't been growing, are likely going to take a long time to catch up to where the broken plant is now. I can't imagine how long it will take them to eventually make across the window and back.



I started this jade from a cutting I brought back with me at Christmas. I am very happy that it has managed to live this long. When I first brought it back I was a little worried that it wouldn't make it. Based on the progress of the jade in the living room, it seems that it takes jades a while to settle into their new surroundings before they are ready to grow. Given that the cuttings start without a root structure this makes some sense to me.



Maybe later today I will finally get around to dealing with the pot that was previously used for corn but that is now vacant. So far the hold up has been my inability to decide what I want to plant, though I am now leaning towards peppers of some kind.

No comments: