Friday, April 10, 2009

A Few Quick Notes 302

-Though the forecast is calling for rain it is quite sunny at the moment, as can be seen in the photo below. If I recall correctly, a similar situation arose yesterday. I guess if Environment Canada is going to be wrong, I would rather have it go in this direction.



-As I was working on assignments earlier this week I wasn't able to bake bread on Wednesday, as has been my habit this term. Finally this morning I found the time to start a quick batch, which is presently in the oven. I am quite looking forward to sampling a few slices shortly.

So far things are looking pretty good, at least if this photo is any indication of the eventual outcome of the loaves.




Update: I have just removed the bread from the oven and it seems to have turned out quite nicely, though I guess I won't really know this until I sample it. Unfortunately, one of the three loaves seems less inclined than the others to leave its pan. At the moment I have just left it there, hoping that it may decide to detach itself at some point in the near future. I really hate it when this happens.

-At about the same time as I was putting the dough in the oven to rise I decided that I would like to make some French bread. After quickly consulting the Joy of Cooking I determined that I had all of the required ingredients (flour, water, salt, and yeast), and would be able to move ahead with the project.

Not only is dough much harder than I expected, it really doesn't look quite right. Hopefully things turn out a little better than I am expecting them to. I guess I will let you know.



Update: The dough has now been formed into rather ugly baguette-ish loaves. Hopefully this stuff manages to be edible.

-Last night Neil and I made a last-minute pre-Good Friday trip to the grocery store. While there we realized that we needed to pick up a few supplies for dinner tonight. After a brief examination of the meat section we decided to go with an on sale leg of lamb.

Only today did I realize that having lamb on Good Friday is probably a little uncommon, some might even go so far as to call it distasteful.

-On Wednesday Neil and Rebecca took advantage of a video rental coupon and rented two movies for the price of one. The two they chose were House Bunny and Transporter 3, each modern classics in their ways.

They watched House Bunny on Wednesday night. I ended up trying to watch House Bunny on Thursday afternoon but gave up after about 7 minutes. I ended up joining them for the Transporter 3 viewing last night. Not surprisingly, I wasn't particularly impressed with this film either, though were a few somewhat inventive strip/fight scenes that were quite funny and completely unbelievable. I think it might be safe to say that I likely won't try to seek out either of the other Transporter movie (which I didn't really know existed until last night).

-When Neil and I were returning these movies last night we decided to try to take advantage of another coupon and see if we could get a free rental. I ended up selecting Slumdog Millionaire, a film Neil and Rebecca saw in the theatre some number of weeks ago.

While I thought the movie was just fine, I am not sure if I was quite as amazed by it as some people seem to have been.

Unfortunately, as we were finalizing the rental we realized that as today is Good Friday I will be unable to return the movie until Saturday, and thus be charged for one day, negating the benefit of the free rental coupon. Maybe I will see if I can call customer service and have them remove the charge from my credit card.

-It turns out that having a nap and an energy drink on Wednesday evening was a bit of a mistake. I didn't manage to make it to sleep until some time after 5:00 AM. As I had to wake up at 7:10 this was a bit of a problem. Fortunately I made it through to the afternoon without falling asleep.

-After class yesterday I met Neil and a few friends at the Grad House closing party/barbeque. I was quite glad that they had the barbeque. I eventually had four (small) burgers. As I hadn't eaten since breakfast I really needed the food.

The party was a little funny as they were using it as an opportunity to get rid of stock before closing. They seem to have sold out of draught beer quite early on and basically just had bottles left by the time I was ready to order a beer.

The sign at the bar suggested that "everything" was $3. I asked about the lone can of Guinness and was told that it was $5. I kind of get the sense that one of the parties involved in this transaction didn't understand the word 'everything,' and I am pretty sure I wasn't the one with the problem. In the end I went with a bottle of a locally brewed beer.

No comments: