Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Seems a touch impossible to me

For quite a number of years Neil and I have been regular (though not continual) users or Ivory soap (sometimes we switch to cheaper generic brands or whatever is available). For more years than I have been a somewhat regular user of this product, which might be about 10 years, I have seen ads and marketing campaigns for Ivory soap that stress, even belabor, the claim that the product is 99.44% pure. Actually, I don't recall ever seeing a marketing campaign for this product that didn't feature this claim, it seems to be the backbone of all of their marketing efforts.

Though I can't say that our (and certainly my) use this product is because of the claims it makes about its purity. Nonetheless, I am certainly aware of these claims and would probably feel a bit cheated if they started releasing a version of the product about which they could no longer make such claims. How can one bring oneself to use an inferior version of a product (which presumably costs the same amount of money)?

I raise this issue because Neil recently purchased two ten packs of "Simply Ivory Aloe." When I looked at the packaging I was at first relieved to see that the same claim about purity was being made about the product. Once I stopped to think about it for a minute and realized that aloe is not soap. Once this thought started float around I started to become a little more unsettled. Has the value of the claim been diminished? Have they found a substitute for aloe that is made of soap? Have the replaced a particular ingredient with exactly the same amount of aloe? What is going on? (It turns out that Neil has been asking himself the same questions.)

This discovery has been somewhat alarming. If it turns out that the claim is untrue I fear that my faith in major multi-national corporations to tell me the truth about their products may be called into question. If this happens I don't know what I will do with myself or how I will make decisions about what to buy.

4 comments:

Jess said...

Sometimes you make my head hurt. Seriously, you amaze me. In a good way. Keep asking the questions that others (people like me) don't think to ask.

Unknown said...

It says it is pure, but pure what?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cameron said...

Presumably soap, but the packaging doesn't really specify to what the purity claim refers.