Monday, March 05, 2007

A Few Quick Notes 69

-Another winter’s day in Montreal. Though it wasn’t all that cold during the better part of the day, the temperature has now started to drop. According to Environment Canada it is supposed to go as low as -24 with a windchill of -38. I am hoping that it will have warmed up a little by the time I have to head out for class at 8:40. This development also calls into question Nithum’s prediction that winter was on its way out and that spring was here.

-Next week will be a pretty brutal week for assignments. I have two due on Monday (for a total of 65% of the course mark), one due on Wednesday, and one due on Friday. The only one that I am looking forward to writing is the one for Wednesday.

-In preparing for Wednesday’s assignment I have had to read a few articles about the nature of bibliography. I seem to have fallen into the typical trap, just viewing bibliography as a listing of books. It seems that there is so much more to the field, and that this is actually seem in a derogatory way by some bibliographers.

One of the more complex areas of study is called critical or analytical bibliography. Much of the work in this field has to do with analyzing printing techniques and styles to determine the order in which various editions were printed, and by whom. Even though this sounds pretty impressive I don’t think it is for me, I think I will stick with enumerative bibliography, or the listing of books (of course by books I mean a wide range of textual materials).

-I need to do some laundry.

-Several days ago it came to my attention that Gmail has launched a new service. It seems that now one can access other email accounts in one’s Gmail account. Just this weekend I managed to have Gmail import my McGill email account. This has been quite nice, and was easy to set up. The only downside is that there seems to be a delay between the time the message is received by McGill and the time it becomes available in Gmail. A message that I received a few minutes ago seemed to have been delayed for about 47 minutes.

-For the past few days I seem to have had some kind of cold. It seems that many people in that I know in Montreal are currently suffering from a similar illness. The strange thing is that it seems to have remained stagnant for the past few days, not really getting very bad, but also not really getting any better.

No comments: