Monday, March 12, 2007

A Few Quick Notes 75

-Another beautiful day in Montreal. It seems that this weather is very quickly eating away at the snow reserves. If this keeps up we won’t have all that much snow left in a few days. Some rain would really speed the process up, though also make it much more unpleasant.

-As I didn’t manage to go out for a walk last night I hope to be able take one tonight.

-I am really looking forward to being able to get back on my unicycle. Hopefully I will be able to find a good patch of pavement around my apartment. Unfortunately, I didn’t really come up with a good spot this fall. Maybe I can try and find one tonight on my walk.

-My “Roll Up The Rim” losing streak continues. As I am now beating the odds I am thinking that I should try to start setting goals for myself. My first goal will be to get to 18 straight losses.

Three to go.

-During a discussion after class a classmate reminded me that I make cornbread. It was nice to have this pointed out to me as I had forgotten to make it in a good number of weeks.

Shortly after returning home from class and consuming dinner I went to work on a quick batch of cornbread. It is now cooling in the kitchen. Hopefully I will have a few pieces as I work tonight.

-Apparently McGill will not be having classes on March 26, 2007 because it is election day. Unless this is law it seems like a bit of an overreaction on the part of the university. I can’t believe that they actually need to cancel an entire day of classes because of an election. My experience with voting in Canada would suggest that it is not all that involved a process, one needs to operate a pencil for about 2 seconds.

-This morning as I was preparing for class I was listening to CBC as normal. At one point Bartleman, the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, was being interviewed by Ms. Rogers on Sounds Like Canada. One of the first things I recall hearing Bartleman say was about how all Canadians think about Muskoka as summer hangout for movie stars.

This immediately struck me as an overstatement. While I have heard of Muskoka, I certainly would not have associated Muskoka with summer recreation and movie stars. This seems to be another assumption that is based on the belief that “Canada” = “Ontario.” Sadly, this is an assumption that exists all to frequently among people from Ontario (though I should be clear that this is not common among all people from Ontario).

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I don't know where Muskoka is. I assume it is in Ontario. I certainly would not associate it with movie stars.

Cameron said...

Thanks for the confirmation. The other part that was odd was the part about the movie stars.

I am pretty sure that some small town in Ontario isn't where they would chose to hang out all summer long, though maybe I am wrong.