Monday, March 26, 2007

More shopping this past weekend

I make my post titles in honour of Games of No Chance (GONC) and More Games of No Chance (GONC2), books edited by my supervisor, R.J. Nowakowski. The third book in the series will be Games of No Chance 3, although another student, Paul Ottaway, and myself thought it should have been More Games of No Chance 2.

Back to my story, at 4:30 on Saturday I jaunted across the road and down the street to the second closest haircutter's, the first being where I had my last scarecut, I mean haircut. They are open until 5, but I they asked me if I would like to book an appointment for Monday. I did, and I'll get back to this later.

Saturday evening came around and I decided it was time to do some buying at Ikea.ca. My main purchases were a desk and dressers. I tried to buy the stuff online, but I was getting an error saying that my postal code didn't match my city on my billing address. I figured the computer didn't like St. John's as a city because of its punctuation, but I didn't want to submit the 'wrong' billing address and not have my payment processed. I called them up and made my order instead. My shipment is expected in 7-11 business days (from Sat).

On Sunday, Rebecca and I only hit up Lawtons and Sobeys. Lawtons had a good deal whereby a free movie ticket was earned with the purchase of 3 Dove products (excluding soap and travel sizes). Rebecca uses Dove products, but if someone wanted to they could buy 3 of the cheapest Dove deodorants (thrown them away) and 'save' money over buying a full-price admission at some theatres.

I had also planned to make an online order from Staples on Sunday. However, the products I had liked at Staples weren't on the website, and I didn't have the product numbers (I had falsely ass-u-me-d that it would be no trouble to find them online). Rebecca then remember that she had wanted to pick up a chalk holder at Staples and had forgotten. As her hands react to chalk and she is giving a chalk-n-talk (that's just a talk using a chalkboard) on Tuesday I decided I would make the run over this morning before my haircut. So this morning came and I went to Staples. I planned my bus trips out quite nicely, and I managed to go from the chair I'm in now, to Staples, and back in less than an hour. My trip was quite sucessful. I have a chair and cabinet coming on Friday, and chalk holders (normally a steep $7.99 per each) were available in 2-for-1 packs, so I got one as well (which I had wanted).

I then went to get my hair cut in the bottom of Doug Wyatt's building, at Splitt Ends (clever name). While I was getting my hair cut the phone rang and the woman cutting my hair, Melissa, went to answer it. When she came back she told another woman there than it was her husband on the phone and he was going to the doctor's to get an AIDS test, which was for some reason necessary to go to Cuba (Melissa's husband works for the Department of National Defence). Melissa said he'd better pass, to which the woman responded that Melissa's should have made sure he would pass such a test before she got married. Burn. Melissa said they mostly get student business. I figure this is why she looked so surprised when I gave her a tip. My beard got the boot when I got home. I would almost definitely get IDed buying alcohol right now if I were wearing shorts. As it is, I think it's a toss-up.

No comments: