Sunday, March 04, 2007

Nuit Blanche

As some of you may know, tonight is Nuit Blanche, an all night party in Montreal. Instead of this being a traditional drunkfest, there is a surprising emphasis on family fun. One of the main elements of this evening seems to be that all kinds of museums will be free and open all night, or at least until 3:00 or 4:00. The event finally comes to an end at about 5:00 AM when a giant, free omelet is served to all of those individuals still on their feet.

My celebration (if that is the proper term) of Nuit Blanche started at Nicole’s apartment. She and her roommates had a few people over for some pre-outing food and camaraderie. Though we didn’t make it to the 8:15 flashlight tour of the Redpath Library we did make it to the kitchen utensil music at the Musee d’art Contemporainne.

The next general area was the Vieux Port. It seemed to me that the Vieux Port may have been the hub of the evening’s activities. Several concerts were taking place, as well as many other activities (including a 120 meter ice slide).

As I am feeling a little under the weather, I didn’t stay for the Silent Disco, gospel concert, or omelet. On my way home I ran into another classmate as she was making her way down to the excitement. Her suggestion was that I head to the Spectrum for the free blues show.

While I didn’t make it to the Spectrum I did head home with the intention of preparing myself some food. As I began the preparation process I turned on my radio to find that the show at the Spectrum was being broadcast live on CBC. So far I have been pretty impressed with the content, too bad I wasn’t up for a free concert.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How does Nuit Blanche compare to Purim in Montreal?

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say that Nuit Blanche did attract a huge number of people in the Old Port. As one working there, I can tell you that I (myself only, and we were 5 staff at least doing the same thing) printed more than 2000 tickets so people could get in for free into the Science Centre. This task caused me some very painful... paper cut on the fingers!!!

Cameron said...

As I haven't really experienced a full Purim celebration in Montreal yet I can't really compare.

I can see that more than 2000 people would have gone to the Science Center. There must have been thousands of people in the Old Port doing all kinds of different activities.