Sunday, August 16, 2009

What a beautiful night in the neighbourhood

Things started to get a little strange at about 8:10 or so, just as the sun was starting to set and things were beginning to become darker.

I was working at my desk when I saw a tallish, seemingly inebriated young male approach the fence/rail outside of my window and proceed attempt to climb and then fall over the obstacle. After lying down on the cement for a few moments this individual made his way towards our balcony. As he moved out of my line of sight and into the range of my plants I was a little worried that he might knock things over or try to abscond with one or more of my plants.

It seems that this young man was actually just going to retrieve his hat, which must have been dropped from one of the floors above onto our balcony area, and which he returned to his head as he made his way back to the fence/rail.

A little later in the evening, maybe at about 10:00 I heard a clattering sound coming from our balcony. As Rebecca had almost simultaneously banged a drawer I assumed that that was in fact all I had heard. A little later in the evening, when I actually made it back to the balcony, I learned that someone had thrown an empty energy drink can onto our balcony, the first such incident since I have been living here. A little later I looked from our balcony to the parking lot below and noticed that about 10 cans had ended up there also.

Just before 2:30 I was lying in bed when I heard what sounded like an aerosol can being used. Amazingly, one of my first thoughts was that someone was installing some new graffiti on the cement wall across from my window. I got up and peeked under my curtain and saw someone with their back to the walling, standing in a position that suggested they were hoping not to be seen. New markings on the wall were also visible, though at the time what these markings were of was not particularly clear. Though I heard another spray or two, I think I scared the person away before they were ready to leave.

When I went out to check on things this morning this is the quality work that I found.



Rebecca was wondering if I distracted them before they had a chance to add colour. I think that the person I distracted likely just isn't particularly talented. The other thing that makes this so great is that I will be one of the handful of people in the world who might get a chance to see this on a daily basis.

You may recall that just a few months ago some graffiti was removed from this location by a power washer-based operation.



[Embedded video]

After taking a photo of the new graffiti I was making my way back over the wall to my balcony when I noticed that something had been dropped on the banana plant. My feeling is that this is likely some tomato based sauce, maybe even pizza innards.



I have since washed the banana plant so that I doesn't have to pass its coming days with this guck on it.

There definitely a few strange goings on last night in my neighbourhood. I hope tonight is a little quieter.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sucks about the strange disruptive occurrences. You know what sucks more? Not updating about fun stuff.

I'm glad the banana plant is okay.

PS - Guess who. Go on, guess.

Cameron said...

There's no 'fun' in 'fundamentals.'

Anonymous said...

Lame. If this keeps up, you may lose your readership of one.

Although you might not miss the snide remarks...