Monday, August 17, 2009

A Few Quick Notes 344

-We reached 30 again today. This is now three days in a row that it has been at least 30 degrees or more. The worst part about the current weather is that things are getting more humid as the evening progresses. There is even a chance that this will all culminate in a thundershower, though as these have been predicted for the past few days without event I am not putting too much stock in the current forecast.

-Neil was teaching tonight so I did not prepare dinner. If I were to allow myself to grossly distort the situation and I would suggest that I felt like a domestic worker who had the night off after years of uninterrupted service, but I would never allow myself to do such a thing as I am nothing if not a slave to the truth (even if that truth comes in a slightly modified and manipulated form).

-Yesterday during our second Ultimate game I a player from the other team ran into me while I was attempting to catch the disc. I saw that we were about to collide just before the collision and was able to contort my body so that my point of contact was my left arm and shoulder. Fortunately for me and unfortunately for him, my opponent was unable to react in the same manner and ended up being hit in the chest. Though I don't know how he is feeling today, I know that I definitely have a decent bruise and a slight pain in my arm. Hopefully his chest isn't doing too badly today.

-I made it to my library carrel to put in a few hours of work this evening. The air conditioning alone makes the journey worthwhile. I think that I will have to try to head back tomorrow for a few hours.

-To help ratchet up our exciting score, it seems that Reader's Digest (the American one) will be filing for bankruptcy. Though this apparently won't mean the end of the magazine, I can't see how it can be a good sign. As the Guardian's story on the topic notes, they seem to have an aging readership. I have a very hard time imagining too many of my friends subscribing to the magazine, even if they would read it if they came. To be fair, I can't really see many of my friends subscribing to too many magazines. Equivalent online content seems to have superseded magazines for many members of my generation, or maybe it has been social networking sites that are taking the time that we once might have spent reading magazines. Either way, things don't seem to be looking up for print media (gems like this are why you keep coming back to Montifax).

-When I sat down to write this post I was hoping to have more juicy and exciting content. As the words began to flow it soon became clear that this, like the other posts, was likely going to be pretty tame. Sorry. If I come up with exciting, cutting-edge content late tonight I will do my best to post it as quickly as possible, until then you will have to make do with my rather low-key list of uneventful goings on.

1 comment:

Jess said...

The last paragraph surely is not in response to snide remarks from an anonymous readership? Because, to be fair, the anonymous readership read the whole thing anyway and should maybe stop complaining.

Not that I'd know. I'm just guessing.