Tuesday, August 04, 2009

A Few Quick Notes 338

-I guess today was a pretty nice day, if a little humid. Strangely, I really don't remember to many of the meteorological features that I must have experienced today.

-Neil and I had another Ultimate game on Sunday. Given that neither team had enough players at the beginning of the game, I don't know whether we won by default, won by points, or lost by default, or lost by points. Anyway, I guess I could check the HURL website if I really wanted to find out how the score was reported.

For the most part the game was pretty good. Unfortunately, the other team had at least one, and maybe two, rather intense players who made things a little less fun. One of the guys on the other team wasn't particularly careful with his body and managed to hit both Neil and I (Neil's lip is still bruised) and run into another player on our team. The most impressive part of all of this was that he wanted to call a foul on me, apparently for hitting his post-throw hand with my upper-chest.

-The other big Ultimate related news is that while I was putting my cleats on before Sunday's game one of the plastic components broke. While I was able to finish the game with few problems, I will obviously need to find a way to secure for next game.



Now that I look at the design I can see that having the eyelets in this piece of plastic is a horrible design decision because if it goes the entire cleat becomes non-functional. I now feel lucky that I have managed to get 4.5 seasons out of this pair of cleats.

-A few days ago, either Friday or Saturday, I dropped my bike off at a local bike shop. I was asked by when I wanted the bike ready and indicated that I was willing to go with whatever was most convenient for them. I was then told that I should stop by on Monday to pick the bike up. On Monday, which happened to also be Natal day, I made my way to the shop by walking through a largely closed and empty downtown. Not surprisingly, the shop wasn't open on Monday.

When I went back to the shop today I learned that not only was my bike not ready, but that they hadn't even started yet. Apparently they are a little behind because they weren't open on Monday. Anyway, I am hoping that it will be ready by tomorrow, though I am not a little more skeptical of this shop's proposed timeframes.

-A few days ago I mentioned that a young woman (and occasionally a young man) is allowing her puppy to defecate in the grassy area across from my desk. The woman then, typically, departs without cleaning up the puppy's droppings. At first I thought public shaming on Montifax had been working as yesterday I saw a bag in action. Unfortunately, today I noticed that the woman and dog were back without even a bag in sight. I guess thinking that a largely obscure blog could have such power was a bit presumptuous on my part, but it would have been pretty cool if that was why someone started to clean up after their dog.

I guess if I wanted to get particularly aggressive about public shaming I could start photographing or videotaping the incidents and then posting them here for all to see.

-For a variety of reasons, not the least of which is the bike shop, these past fews I have been downtown and then decided to walk home along the waterfront. I have noticed that compared to earlier in the summer there are really quite a lot of buskers. Today was a particularly busy day for street performers. While I am normally pretty supportive of such things, a number of these performers really should give it a rest. One guy in particular, a piper, was not only massacring Amazing Grace, but also drowning out performers in one block radius.

-On a related note, the piping on the waterfront really gets to me as it fall into the faux-Scottish thing that is going on here in Nova Scotia. Nova Scotia should emphasize its own culture and be proud of it and stop the second rate imitation of Scotland's culture.

-I finally harvested a few vegetables from my balcony container garden. I used all nine pea pods and three beans in a stir-fry that I made for dinner tonight. While I will give the pea pods a pass, I was rather disappointed with the beans. Presumably I should be able to conduct similar harvests in coming weeks.



-I should also note that the tomatoes are continuing to grow. The one that is the largest is now almost as large as a small grape, or something in that vicinity.



-A few days ago I re-potted most of my tobacco plants, meaning that I now have only one or two plants per pot, instead of the 15-20 that I had in the paper pots. Interestingly, the plants in the only paper pot that I have not re-potted are now the largest. Though, as you can below, this doesn't mean that they are particularly large yet.



At this rate I don't think my plants will be particularly large by the end of the summer.

No comments: