Thursday, August 20, 2009

A Few Quick Notes 346

-It seems that for the first time in a few days we have had a maximum temperature of less than 30. The other thing of note is that the thunderstorms that had been forecast for the past few days have not had the courtesy to show up. Now it seems that they are off of the forecast, at least for the time being.

-Yesterday Neil was kind enough to let me know that Google Voice is now offering free calls to Canada. This is great as both Neil and I have accounts. For those of you that don't yet have accounts with Google Voice, such accounts might be looking into, especially if you want free long distance and texting.

-In other Google related news, yesterday I read a blog post from Google about their ability to predict search trends. In the post they also mentioned Google Insights for Search, a product I had not previously heard of (though I had heard of Google Trends and Google Zeitgeist). Anyway, Google seems to be doing some neat things on the searching front, some of which may have some interesting implications.

-Over the past few days I have heard about a number of incidents involving people openly carrying guns at Obama-related events. While it seems clear that no laws are being broken, I do find the behaviour both dangerously aggressive and strange. While one may legally be able to do this, I really don't see how it helps the situation, even for the people with the guns. If this grows more popular it certainly could lead to a situation with disastrous consequences. (More original, Montifax only content).

-Yesterday Neil, Rebecca and I were talking about this year's crop of incoming university students. What was most striking about these students is that are the second cohort from the 1990s, something that was making us all feel relatively old. Today I came across the Mindset List, which outlines a number of things that have been true for duration of these students' lives, and that weren't true even a few years before. For instance, for those born in 1991 the Cold War and the Iron Curtain are historical facts rather than things that they were alive to experience. Anyway, I had fun browsing the list, though it also made me feel old.

7 comments:

Jess said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jess said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jess said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cameron said...

These posts were removed at the request of the author, I was not trying to stifle discussion or free speech.

Jess said...

That author was me. Thanks, Cameron :)

Anonymous said...

Just curious, does your Google Voice account let you forward calls to a Canadian phone number (Cell or land line)?

Trying to decide what to do about my Grandcentral number.

Thanks

Cameron said...

Google Voice does allow one to forward calls to a Canadian number.

Not only do I get the sense that Google wants people to migrate their accounts, but that it probably makes sense for most users as Google Voice has a few more features than GrandCentral.