Friday, August 07, 2009

A Few Quick Notes 340

-We had another rather warm day in Halifax today. According to Environment Canada, it made it to as high as 28, and if you include humidity if felt as though it was as high as 33. Tomorrow it seems likely that it will be warm and humid, maybe with some rain. Can't wait.

-I am not really sure why I think it is so important, but for some reason I keep thinking that I should mention that AC/DC is performing in New Brunswick this evening (though I imagine the show is over by now). I guess I am inclined to mention this as I have a few friends who were planning on attending and because I find the idea of 60 000 person shows impressive (if not tempting). Anyway, presumably there will be some strange traffic patterns tomorrow as people make their way back home from New Brunswick.

-Early this afternoon I decided to go to grocery store to pick up a few things I needed for dinner. Soon after I stood at the end of an express checkout line a guy approached me and asked if he could go ahead of me as he had only one item.

Given that this guy appeared to be drunk and that his one item was store-brand mouthwash I decided that it would probably be easier for all involved if I just let him cut in front of me. Once I had made this decision the guy in front of me also let this guy go in front of him. As he made is way past us there was a rather noticeable body filtered mouthwash smell.

After thanking both of us for allowing him to pass, the drunk guy, while waiting his turn, decided to tell us about how he had saved a woman's life by taking a broken beer bottle to the face. He was even kind enough to point out the scar on his chin. Unfortunately, as the drunk guy was caught up in his story-telling he forgot to pay attention to the cashier and wasn't ready for the transaction that he was so anxious to attend to.

Eventually he managed to put is bottle of mouth wash on the belt and let the cashier ring it in. When she asked if he wanted a bag he said yes. She told him the price and he started to get his money out to pay. As the cashier was making change the drunk guy continued to fiddle with his money. Eventually, as the cashier was ready to hand the guy his change he tried to giver her another $5, presumably to pay. Then the cashier had to explain that he had already covered it and that he could take the change she was trying to give him.

Eventually, once the money situation was squared away, the guy picked up his purchase and seemed to be baffled that it was in a bag. He seemed to have forgotten that he asked the cashier to put his purchase in a bag less than a minute before.

Why this stands out to me is that for years I have heard about drinkers so hard up for sauce that they go to cleaners or mouthwash to get their fix. While I understood that this occurred, I had never actually seen anyone that I suspected would or had gone to such lengths to get drunk. Now I have, and it was definitely not a pretty sight.

-After dinner I made my way to the waterfront to check out a few of the busker shows at the Halifax International Busker Festival before returning to my school related work. Almost as soon as I was in the right area I came upon a show that was just starting, as the guy was holding flaming juggling clubs I decided to stick around. It turns out that was a mistake.

The performer spent most of the time berating the audience and getting cheap applause (literally insisting on it) and only occasionally doing anything that one might normally associate with a performance (such as juggling for 30 seconds). While the finale was kind of neat, it definitely wasn't worth the awkwardness and unpleasantness of the lead up. I feel that if instead of spending so much time and energy telling us how important it was to donate and applaud if he had actually been performing tricks the lectures wouldn't have been necessary.

After the first show I made my way a little further along the waterfront and came upon a break dancing troupe from New York called the USA Break Dancers. This time the performers focused on performing, instead of lecturing, and put on a very entertaining show. I was particularly impressed with the way this group seamlessly integrated audience participation with the show. Furthermore, only at the very end did they mention that they were paid only by donation and that they would appreciate contributions from the audience. Though I don't have the numbers to back this up, I would imagine that this approach likely pays more, but I could be wrong.

The other important thing that I learned is that they seem to be selling the festival program for $2. This would explain why this material isn't on the festival's website. As I was walking home I was hoping that I might find either a trashed or recycled copy that I could pick up for free.

-Neil and I are thinking about going to Cole Harbour tomorrow afternoon to catch the Sidney Crosby Stanley Cup parade. While this normally isn't my kind of thing, I feel that I may not have too many chances to see either Mr. Crosby or the Cup.

3 comments:

Jess said...

Dude, I think the parade is today... It's his birthday today. Pretty sure it started half an hour ago.

Jess said...

Oops, you posted this at 1:00. nvm.

Although technically you should have said 'today' or 'this afternoon' and not 'tomorrow.'

Cameron said...

I was thinking about this issue coming up and meant to make a some mention that this was being posted after midnight but being written as though it was still Thursday.

Anyway, we managed to make it.