Sunday, August 30, 2009

A Few Quick Notes 351

-After a rainfall approaching biblical proportions yesterday, I was quite surprised to wake up to find that today was almost perfect.

-After what seemed to be about two weeks, but must have only been three or four days, I finally finished off the batch of beans I made after Neil and Rebecca's departure. I guess the question now is whether I make another batch for the next few days or try to diversify my diet slightly.

-Moments ago I emailed my MA thesis to my supervisor and the other two professors who will be reading it. It is a strange feeling. It is possible that I may have to give a presentation on the topic on either Thursday or Friday, though this has not yet been scheduled, though I imagine I will hear about this shortly.

-Still no word from the Vegas vacationers. At this point I am starting to think that they are actively avoiding communicating with us as they don't seem to be reading the blog, emailing, or phoning. Jeez, if I don't hear anything soon I may have to start looking for people to sublet their room.

-Yesterday I went to one of the local Chinese grocery stores and purchased a 1.5 Kg bag of instant noodles (kind of like ramen but without the flavouring packets). Once I got the noodles home I took a look at the nutritional information and ingredients. While only three ingredients are listed (flour, salt, curcumin) the nutritional information seems to suggest that for every 100 grams of noodles contains over 20 grams of fat, 75 grams of carbohydrates, and almost 10 grams of protein. Though I don't know much about these things, something seems a little off with this information (and the list of ingredients).

-For the past few days I have been on the look out for some wood with which I hope to make a plant shelf for my window. Given that we are in the move-out portion of the month I decided to go for a quick walk this afternoon to see if I could find any discarded shelves or other furniture from which I could salvage some wood. While I did see a number of piles of crap left behind by people who had moved out, I didn't see any wood that matched the dimensions I was looking for. When I was about a block away from home I noticed that there was a old election sign with a wooden post lying in the ground. Though this was a little dirty and wet, I was able to separate the plastic from the wood relatively easily.

While I was taking the plastic sign components off I accidently broke the piece of wood. At first I was a little frustrated, but eventually I saw that the break actually gave me an easy way to improve my design and allow for some taller plants on the windowsill. As I need a little more hardware I wasn't able to complete the project tonight, though I hope to have a beta version by tomorrow.

-For those of you in Halifax, and the South End specifically, it seems that the Sobeys on Queen Street will once again be offering its 10% student discount on Tuesdays this year and is now open until 8:00 PM on Sundays. These items are both great news as far as I am concerned.

-Because of yesterday's heavy rainfall an Ultimate game that I was supposed to play today was cancelled. While I am normally quite keen to play, this cancellation worked out quite nicely as I was then able to stay at home and put in a few more hours on my thesis. I presume that that is it for our season, but I really don't know.

No comments: