Sunday, August 23, 2009

Hurricane Bill: live update 3

At about 5:40 AM I was woken up, presumably, by noise caused by the storm. At the time it was quite windy and raining (though it was clear that it neither were likely to be sustained for any period of time). It was strangely comforting to know that something had arrived, maybe only because it shed light on what would be happening to the Ultimate tournament.

When I awoke a few minutes ago to check on the status of the Ultimate tournament I found that the city has closed the fields for today, though they didn't make the call until 6:53 AM. Our Ultimate league has not, as far as I can tell, posted this information on their website.

Presently we seem to be in a lull. A part of the storm seems to have passed over us, but we have not yet been visited by the main section of the storm. This image shows the situation pretty clearly.



(Source: Environment Canada, Satellite Images)

The newest chart from the National Hurricane Center seems to suggest that while it will be close by, the eye of the storm won't exactly hit Halifax, which is good for us.



(Source: National Hurricane Centre. Hurricane Bill)

Anyway, now that I know I don't have Ultimate today I will be heading back to bed for a few hours. I guess we might have a better handle on things at that point in time, though I guess even by then the eye of the storm may not have passed us completely.

No comments: