Saturday, August 22, 2009

A Few Quick Notes 347

-Today (Friday) was another scorcher, though maybe not as bad as some of the 30 plus days of early this week. Actually, if one managed to stay out of the direct sun and find some of the breeze things weren't too bad. As the day has made its routine transition to night things have become a little moister. Given that the breeze has died this means relatively unpleasant/humid conditions.

-As bad as the weather has been for the past few days it seems ready to get a little worse. Hurricane Bill appears to be heading towards the south coast of Nova Scotia, which obviously includes Halifax with it. The National Hurricane Center seems to be suggesting that the storm will hit sometime on Sunday and then move on to Cape Breton by Sunday evening.



(Source: National Hurricane Centre. Hurricane Bill)

-Dalhousie was kind enough to send me an email with suggestions about how to prepare for an event. Though we aren't particularly worried about the storm nailing us to heavily we have taken a few precautions. We made sure to head to the NSLC to pick up some beer before there is a run on it tomorrow afternoon. Additionally, we have thought about how we will go about storing water in the off chance we lose power and water. Fortunately, just a few days ago we purchased 24 litres of carbonated water, which should put us in a good place for drinking water if we manage to lose power. Aside from food, which we would be buying anyway, the only additional purchase we might make is a little more propane, just incase we lose power and are forced to use our grill for a few days.

As of yet we haven't decided whether we will try to live blog the hurricane or not, if we do it should be pretty obvious that we are, and if not, it should be pretty obvious that we aren't. Anyway, the only confusion might come if we are trying to live blog the hurricane but then manage to lose power and internet part way through. If we aren't live blogging the storm and are curious about power outages and whatnot, you may want to check out Nova Scotia Power's live outage map (which is of little use if you lose power).

-This afternoon, after Neil and Rebecca did some preliminary scouting, Neil and I went to a soon-to-be-closing bookstore and purchased a used table for $20 and used cooler for $10. The table is about as wide as our current dining room table, but about an inch and a half shorter. It is the same height as our card table, but about 2 inches narrower.

The table and cooler are presently in the living room. We have put our big plant on top of the table and then placed our junk pile (including the cooler) underneath. My suggestion was that we get some fabric and drape it around the table to hide the stuff we are hiding underneath, though as of right now we have no plans to go fabric shopping.



-We had some rather tasty roast beef for dinner last night. Tonight we had pinwheels. Sadly, such beef rich meals may be a thing of the past for me as it is possible that I may have to go on a reduced beef diet in the near future in an attempt to reduce the frequency with which I form kidney stones.

-In yesterday's post I linked to the Google Voice blog. It seems that they have a feature that shows who has linked to particular posts below the individual posts. Subsequently, as a consequence of my linking to one of their posts, we had a strange surge of traffic based on people following their link to my post which occurred because I linked to their post. Seems like a bit of a quid pro quo arrangement to create internet traffic circles and improve everybody's PageRank.

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

I vote for live-blogging the hurricane. Since I make up roughly a 1/3 of your readership, my vote should count.

Cameron said...

I am somewhat inclined to try to live-blog the affair, but I guess we will see what happens.

I do have to take issue with your claim that you are close to 1/3 of Montifax's readership. While you may be a pretty sizable chunk, I don't think that you are anywhere close to 1/3. Given my sense of our visitor stats I would say that you are closer to 1/10 of the readership.

Rebecca said...

I figured it was me, Jess and Neil who read the blog. I counted Neil as a reader as opposed to a contributor. As 1/10th of the readership, I think my vote still counts.

Hopefully the hurricane will be so exciting that it will encourage Neil to live blog it.

Jess said...

I agree with Rebecca. I thought 1/3 was accurate. You claim your parents read this, so that takes us to 2/5ths of your readership, but I fear that's pushing it.

Live blog!!! Should I check back? Will my say or Rebecca's say have any influence on this matter at all?

PS - Rebecca, I hope Cameron passed on the message that Erica and I invited the three of you to dinner tonight, even though he said it wouldn't work out. If he didn't... well, you know now.

Cameron said...

I guess this is just me being saucy, but I was kind of leaning towards an attempt at the live-blogging of the storm tomorrow. Your indications of support are appreciated.

I didn't pass on the message about dinner because it didn't work out, though I guess I should have. I will try to explain it to them later.

In terms of readers, we have readers from across the country, though there are a few gaps in between. Our readers are known for their anonymous enjoyment of the blog, meaning that the read without frequently commenting on content.

Jess said...

Okay, whatever. I'll give you 10 readers. I get it. Only a few of us are vocal.

Or real?

Kathy said...

Count me in for the live blogging and regular readership.

Cameron said...

I was counting you in for both.