Wednesday, August 05, 2009

More public shame/ing

So it seems that my last few attempts at publicly shaming the owner of the puppy who uses the green space across from my bedroom as a toilet have been unsuccessful. Again today I saw the woman and puppy out there, doing their thing. Even worse, I think I heard them out there while I was taking a nap this evening. Anyway, I imagine I will have to keep blogging about the subject until I either speak to them in person about the issue or I notice that they start cleaning up after the dog.

Just prior to the aforementioned nap I returned from my fourth trip to my local bike shop to pick up my bike. Turns out fourth time is a charm, I now have the bike back in my possession. Unfortunately, as they didn't have an appropriate seat-post in stock one of the more important repairs was not made. I guess now that the bike is functional I can ride it over to another bike shop to try to pick up a replacement seat-post.

I paid for the repairs with my bank card and as I was working my way through the transaction I encountered a tip screen. This surprised me as I don't recall ever tipping for bike repairs before, or seeing anyone else do it. After a few moments it became obvious to the employee that I was trying to work my way through the tip steps without leaving a tip. The employee then told me which buttons I had to press to get through without leaving a tip.

While I felt a little awkward as this was taking place, I don't feel all that bad about not leaving a tip. That it took me four trips to the store to get the bike is probably the biggest issue. A secondary issue is that the shop wasn't able to complete all of the necessary repairs, meaning that I will have to visit at least one more shop before everything is in proper working order. A tertiary issue is that I don't know who did the work so I wouldn't be tipping the mechanic but the shop in general, and I would be doing this before even testing the effectiveness of the repairs.

Anyway, I didn't tip and I feel that I made the right call. I don't even know if I would be particularly inclined to tip had the experience been everything I might have hoped it would be.

No comments: