Sunday, August 23, 2009

Hurricane Bill: live update 1

So maybe this is a little premature seeing that Hurricane Bill hasn't actually started to negatively impact Halifax yet, but I thought that I should maybe log one or two pre-storm entries just to provide a baseline against which the severity of the storm might be judged.

So I guess I should describe the current conditions. At the moment it is in the low twenties with a slight to non-existent breeze. My sense of things is that the humidity is pretty high, though it is definitely not raining. All things considered, I am quite surprised that it is this warm so late in the day. Normally it cools of a little more. It certainly doesn't feel as though doom is just a few hours away. (The same can't be said for other parts of Nova Scotia)

Anyway, things seem to be on track for a Hurricane Bill's arrival mid-day on Sunday. The National Hurricane Center charts seem to suggest that the eye of the storm will be passing not too far from the South coast of Nova Scotia, which is where I happen to live. Furthermore, it seems that the storm is a few hundred kilometers wide, which means that even if it doesn't make landfall in Nova Scotia we should still be able to feel its effects.

This is the most recent predicted path from the National Hurricane Center, as you can see, things don't look particularly good for Nova Scotia and Newfoundland.



(Source: National Hurricane Centre. Hurricane Bill)

The Environment Canada satellite imagery also doesn't paint a particularly appealing picture.



(Source: Environment Canada, Satellite Images)

As it is now approximately 1:00 AM on Sunday morning I don't think I will be able to pick up any more emergency supplies before the storm hits, if it is to hit, but I may try to fill up a few bottles with water.

A few hours ago I did move a few more of my plants inside. I am a little worried about those plants still on the balcony but I am not sure that there is much I can do at the moment. In the morning I will have to assess the situation and see if anything needs to be taken down or moved inside. Hopefully we are all overreacting and I can leave everything where it is.

I guess I should also mention that Neil and I are presently scheduled to have our Ultimate play-offs tomorrow on the Commons. My guess is that they will be cancelled either before they start or not too long after they start. Unfortunately, I am likely going to have to get up at 7:00 just to learn whether or not I then have to make the walk over to the Commons just to learn that I will have the pleasure of walking home. As you might have been able to sense, I am not to enthused about the prospect of the games going ahead tomorrow.

For those of you who intend on following our live coverage of Hurricane Bill you may be interested to know that most of the posts likely won't be this long. It is my intention to try to include visual content, either photos or storm images, throughout the day.

No comments: