Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Banjos and Blocked Discs

Though Tuesday had been cold, grey, and slightly windy, the walk home from work was not particularly unpleasant. At no point on my trek did I even think about unpacking my rain jacket, though it safely stowed in my backpack.

Within a few minutes of returning home things definitely started to deteriorate. By about 6:15, as I was packing my things for my approaching Frisbee game I started to think that it might be a useful item to have along. Though as things turned out, with a last minute pre-departure rush, I didn't get a chance to transfer the coat to my new bag.

As the car was pulling out of the driveway the weather was in the midst of taking a turn for the worse. Drops of precipitation were quickly becoming apparent on the windscreen, and the wind was doing its best to makes its presence felt.

By the time I arrived at the playing field in Cowan Heights sheets of foggy rain were visible in the sky, and causing those in the region to become gradually wetter. These walls of precipitation seemed to shimmer as distant winds changed the course of the falling drops. Very quickly I was able to determine that it our game, if it actually took place, wouldn't be occurring under ideal conditions.

Soon after arriving I made my way to the sidelines where I watched the first game of the night come to a close. As this was happening members of my team gradually began to arrive,

Almost as soon as we began to congregate several of us wondered if it would be possible for the game to be postponed and played on a day with temperatures above 5 degrees. Just as the game was to get underway this seemed the likely outcome.

A representative from the team approached us and asked us if we were interested in delaying the game. Not surprisingly, we quickly consented to re-scheduling. To confirm the propriety of this action our team captain went to speak to a league representative (who happened to have been playing in the previous game). By the time our teammate returned with the go-ahead the other team relinquished their offer to postpone the game.

After a brief moment of frustration our team accepted that we that we would be playing in less than ideal conditions, and that we would now be forced to win the game.

Without a warm up we took the field and started the game. Not surprisingly, the wind and water slowed the progress of the game. Throws that weren't taken off course by the wind frequently slipped through the hands of their intended recipients. By half-time, which occurred 45 minutes in, each team had only scored a handful of points (though our handful was slightly larger).

After a very hard fought drive our team finally managed to score a point against the wind in the dying moments of the second half. Not only was this a feat in and of itself, it also gave us a two point lead with only a few moments left in the game. Instead of playing out the remaining seconds of the game the opposing team conceded defeat.

Aside from the weather, the game really was quite a pleasant experience. The opposing team, while largely inexperienced, were enjoyable opponents.

Soon after the game I made my way over to the encampment of the opposing team to try and catch a ride back to town. While arranging the details with one member of the team another member of the team asked if anyone was going downtown. As this was my precise destination (or as precise as 'downtown' can be) I asked if he would mind giving me a ride.

While he was obviously making the offer to those on his team he didn't seem too put out at the thought of giving me a ride. Not only did he insist on giving me a ride all the way to my destination (though I had indicated that anywhere downtown would be perfectly acceptable), he also provided very pleasant conversation on the way there.

As my ride gave me a ride to the steps above the Ship I was able to head directly from my Frisbee game to a concert I planned on attending.

The performance, which was by Old Man Luedecke, was to be a CD release party for the artist's new album.

Almost as soon as I entered I was able to find Peter, who I had already planned to meet, and his brother, Chris. In the following moments, while scanning the crowd, I was pleased to see that there were a number of other individuals in attendance that I hadn't seen since my return.

When Chris and I eventually made our way over to pick up some drinks I was able to speak to a few of the people I had spotted in the crowd. Jeff, whose new house I attempted to visit on Sunday, expressed his disappointment that our trip to his place had met with failure. He encouraged me to try and make another trip out during the summer. In the following moments I had the pleasure of talking Terry, an individual I met while in Harlow a few years ago.

Soon after I made it back with the drinks the main act began his performance, and what a performance it was. From the introduction to his first song he had the capacity crowd in his hands.

Introductions to songs were both touching and humourous, and always appropriate for the performance. Fortunately, unlike most shows in St. John's bars, the volume level was completely appropriate for the performance. Nothing was too loud, but everything was clear and crisp.

As the show progressed it became quite clear that Old Man Luedecdke was quite capable of maintaining the attention of the crowd with just a banjo and his voice (as well as the frequent percussive stomping of his foot).

My only complaint about the show was the single set that comprised the show wasn't long enough, particularly considering that cover was twice the standard rate. Though, as Chris pointed out, he certainly left the audience wanting more.

From downtown Peter and I made our way back home. Miraculously, in the time between the beginning of the show and our departure the weather seemed to have improved drastically. The once cloudy and threatening skies were clear and calm, making for a pleasant walk home, which was a great way to end the day.

No comments: