Saturday, June 07, 2008

Neil, you can phone it in

When we decided to started this blog about a year and a half ago it was Neil that took initiative to come up with the name and the account. All I did was provide encouragement and a commitment that I would participate (if any thing actually resulted from the effort). In the months since the initial flurry of activity the pendulum seems to have swung the other way.

These days I provide basically all of the posts and am responsible for changing or adding any additional features to the blog. Neil, if he does post, does it very sparingly and with great caution (as he wouldn't want to drain the well too quickly).

This lack of activity is somewhat strange as I know that he must spent at least a few hours online every day. Though during this time he can't seem to find just five or ten minutes to work on a project that he started in 2006.

This spring I hoped that I had finally added a new feature that would finally get Neil to post more. The new feature meant that all Neil had to do to provide content was go to the blog and press a web button, enter his phone number, pick up his phone, and then talk. This seemed pretty easy as far as I was concerned, certainly easier than pressing a bunch of keys on a keyboard to try and form words and sentences.

It seems that even if I make it so that Neil can just phone it in he still won't post. I have no idea what to do next in my haphazard, on-again-off-again quest to get Neil to provide more posts than there are quarters in a year.

If any of you have any other suggestions of things that might get Neil to post more please feel free to let either of us know.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I don't think allowing Neil to phone in his blog posts will make him post more. Nor do I think your readers would listen to it.

I have no good suggestions about how to make him post more. Guilt him into it?

Cameron said...

While it might be the case that Neil will never be convinced that Neil is likely to phone in posts, I do think that people would consider listening, particularly if he punched them up with a few smart one liners and snappy anecdotes.

Furthermore, audio posts would open our blog to the non-reading demo, something that we are presently missing. And as I am sure you are aware, as broad a readership/listnership as possible is exactly what we are looking for.

I should also not that I think guilting him into it might be the most effective technique to get him to post (aside from popular demand), which is why I created this post.