Sunday, June 01, 2008

A Few Quick Notes 175

-It seems that the pleasant weather of yesterday was not meant to last. By this morning the skies were grey, and by about 11:00 AM rain had started to fall. Not surprisingly, the temperatures also seem to have dropped noticeably.

-Last night, while downtown, I managed to go to two notable George Street bars for the first time. First my friend Greg and I visited Trapper John's because Greg's brother Chris was performing. After a beer we moved down the street to the Sundance/Beer Market complex of bars. Eventually we made it into the Sundance proper.

Not surprisingly, I don't think that I will turn out to be much of a regular at either of these two bars. While the Sundance seemed to be satisfying its customers, it didn't seem to be providing an atmosphere that I found in any way appealing or tempting.

I also found it strange that at both locations I recognized very few of the patrons. It seems that at most St. John's bars I visit I tend to run into at least a few people that I know or recognize. I guess it is quite possible that I am a little out of touch with the current customer base, or that most of my peer group has left the region.

-For the first time in a few years I have been using my 2001 iMac. Under normal circumstances one might thing that a computer of such an age would be less than ideal. The only thing that makes it tolerable is that my newer laptop has been pretty slow these past few months. If I use them both simultaneously, as I am doing now, I can manage to make better use of my time than if I only used one of the computers and was forced to wait for the various processing functions to take place.

The other fringe benefit of the iMac is that the built in speakers are of a much higher quality than those available on my laptop. This means that I can use my computer as a jukebox, which is surely a slightly lower order purpose than was originally intended by the designers.

-I keep meaning to head to the QEII library to do some preparatory reading for my upcoming course of study. It seems that I just don't ever quite have the motivation to make it up there. Eventually I will have to do this, and sooner really would be better than later. Presumably I should also email my supervisor-to-be to get some suggested readings. Again, sooner rather than later would be better.

-Yesterday, while conducting a major junk removal operation in my closet, I found a certificate affirming my Texas residency. It seems that all one needs to do to be a resident of Texas is write that one has the intent of some day moving to Texas, and then visit the state on an annual basis.

As I haven't even visited the state once I presume that my residency status has lapsed, but that it could be renewed by another written commitment. Unfortunately, I don't think that I will be able to honestly write such a statement at this time.

-I feel that this post may be slightly more scatter-brained than most. Hopefully it is at least marginally coherent. Maybe if Neil decided to post now and again he could provide some content that is slightly less muddled.

No comments: