Tuesday, June 03, 2008

A Few Quick Notes 176

-After a day of heavy rain, things seem to have dried out a little. Unfortunately, the skies are still slightly overcast and threatening rain. The temperature is about 14, which is just about perfect for walking.

-The fifth season of Mile Zero Ultimate (MZU) started this week, though yesterday's games were rained out. Unfortunately, it seems that MZU will no longer be playing games at the MUN field. This an unfortunate loss not only because it was a good field, but also because it was conveniently located with good parking.

My team's first game is this Friday at 7:00. Hopefully at last half of our team will show up for today's practice so that we have a sense of how things will look at the end of the week.

-In the past few weeks I have started to notice that canned tuna prices are quite variable. Some of the cheaper varieties seem to be available for about $1/can, while prices can head towards $3 for more expensive varieties.

Obviously, I tend to buy the cheap varieties, in part because I am generally cheap, and also because such prudence is necessary given my current financial situation. Though when shopping for canned tuna on Sunday I decided to splurge and pick up a can of the high stuff, as well as a can of the cheap stuff. I was curious to know if there was really any good reason to be paying twice as much for tuna.

For lunch the past two days I have consumed the two recently purchased cans of tuna and come to the conclusion that there isn't really a particularly good reason to buy the expensive stuff, unless you are particularly keen on having nice big pieces of meat. Strangely, it is even possible that the cheaper can was more flavourful (which may be why it was cheaper).

Anyway, I guess this is all to say that I now feel quite comfortable buying cheap tuna, particularly when my sighted taste-test suggested no notable quality differences.

-Using LCC schedules for my various classification related activities has been much more fun (if that is the right word) than I thought it would be. Not only do I get to analyze what others have done when classifying items, I also get to try and work through the problem myself. I wonder if once I have done hundreds or thousands this enjoyment level will begin to diminish.

No comments: