Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A Few Quick Notes 178

-Today was another less than stellar day. To begin the day skies were overcast and there seemed to be a fair degree of water on the ground. Fortunately, as morning gave way to afternoon the clouds gave way to blue skies. Sadly, the temperature held steady at about 8 degrees for much of the day.

-People seem to be going nuts about tomato contamination. That there is such wide-spread mass hysteria made it all the more surprising that the local grocery store is still stocking and selling American grown vine-less tomatoes.

-While walking home from work with Peter I decided to make some bread. Part of the excuse was that I would use the session to show him how I go about making bread, a method which is aggressively improvisational.

Almost as soon as we returned home and started to assemble the ingredients I noticed that we were going to be short on milk. Amazingly, we were also short on powdered milk, a problem with which I never expected to find myself.

Gradually I was able to work my way around that particular problem by combining the swallow's worth of milk that we did have with the powdered milk, some water, and a few swallows worth lactose free milk.

I next learned that we were out of butter. This meant that I was forced to switch back to margarine for the day, something that really wasn't too much of a sacrifice.

After heating the milk I started to add the other ingredients and really get under way. Soon enough, after adding a bit of this and a bit of that, I was ready to let the bread rise for the first time. Magically, this period of rising coincided with dinner.

Soon after dinner I was able to slap the formed slabs of dough into pans to let them rise for a second time. This too occurred quite quickly, meaning that before long I had my first four loaves in the oven.

Within less than 2.5 hours I passable product ready for consumption. Now I just have to remember to put the bread away before I go to bed.

-I had flank steak, green beans, asparagus, and potatoes for dinner tonight.

-Since returning I have made a point of packing vegetables with my lunch. For the most part this has been pretty good, particularly now that I am not restricting myself to only packing carrots.

-My beans still seem to be showing no signs of growth. If there aren't any sprouts by next Saturday I may have to re-plant.

No comments: