Monday, June 16, 2008

More vacation time than I can use

A few days ago I learned that, due to my contractual status, I will be due some vacation/sick days. Just today I received an email confirming how many days I would be due and when I can take them.

It seems that I get about 2 days a month and they can be used as either sick days or vacation days. The only catch when it comes to these days is that one can't use them until one has been employed for 60 days.

Under normal circumstances this likely wouldn't be much of a problem. But when one only has a 13 week contract it is a bit of a different matter. As I will only be working 65 days this means that I am not even eligible to take any of the days until my last week of work, at which point I can't possibly use all of my available days.

Fortunately there is a handy solution to the problem, if one can even consider this a problem. It seems that if I don't take the days I will just be paid for them, meaning I basically have a week of pay after the termination of my employment, which will be quite nice (particularly as it will likely be a high cost week). Fortunately, I will likely have some medical condition crop up that will manage to throw all of this out of whack and thus prevent me from being paid for post-termination days.

Now that I have figured out my vacation/sick days I need to figure out how to get out of my pension. And I guess while I am at it, I might as well try to find out if I have inadvertently been signed up for any other benefits that I might want to at least know about before I fail to take advantage of them.

No comments: